Friday 30 January 2009

Phoney Pharoah




Excuse the Private Eyeism. This building is perfectly real. Being ignorant of The Egyptian House's very existence, imagine the surprise when I stumbled across this masterpiece on a recent visit to Penzance. It is simply magnificent and beautifully maintained by the look of it. Owned by The Landmark Trust, it's a mixture of shops and rentable appartments - what a fabulous place to stay! Designed by John Foulton of Plymouth, it was built around 1830 in the fashionable Egyptian style, originally serving a similar function to the Egyptian Hall in Piccadilly which exhibited curiosities from all over the world. From memory I believe Gideon Mantell, the famous geologist and paleontologist (of Lewes) records visiting the London building and being much impressed. Having read some erudite architectural deconstructions of Penzance's pride and joy I find myself even more surprised that not only is it where it is but the fact that it got built there in the first place. The answer is of course that where there is money, just occasionally and deliciously, philanthropy sometimes follows. This is the product of a mind that clearly wished to create something absolutely unforgettable amongst the sturdy granite and brick fishing buildings of this West Country outpost...maybe something he'd seen on a rare trip to 'that London'. The Egyptian architectural and symbolic references apparently stand little scholarly scrutiny, but what do I know, its bloomin' marvellous and a real breath of (albeit 170 years old) fresh air

7 comments:

hoop said...

Wow, what an oddity. I love the sludgy colours. I have not posted on my blog all week but have just updated on an architecture theme too. Do have a look at more amazing (modern) bulidings on The Coolhunter.co.uk

Peter Ashley said...

Just love it. I've always wanted to get a cherry picker or similar to do detail shots. And pray for sunlight on them, which I don't think ever happens in this street.

Jon Dudley said...

That would be a great thing to do. I really fancy renting one of the apartments too...but not before I've rented 'The cottage in the sky' first.

Thud said...

I can see why people love it but for me its disney alien aspect is a bit jarring...sorry!

Jon Dudley said...

I suppose there's an element of that, but really no different to having a modernist building appearing in your town in the 30's. Besides at nearly 180 years old it's become, curiously, a legitimate part of the street scene, albeit very very different from the vernacular. It's all down to what you like I guess.

Philip Wilkinson said...

Indeed it is. I love it, and would have had it on my blog if I'd had any photographs of it to hand. Thanks for giving us the chance for a close look.

Jon Dudley said...

Thanks, but the difference is Philip, you would have written something proper and meaningful about it which would give readers a far better understanding of its aesthetic and historical placement. You understand these things, the 'why and the wherefore'...well, mainly the 'why' which is vital when studying architecture.