Thursday 4 November 2010

Remember, remember...


"Look out there's a Health and Safety inspector about", mother's saying to father.
There's not long to go now. Lewes is preparing itself for the big night once again. The tradition continues despite efforts over the years to emasculate it. For the Bonfire Societies this will be the culmination of a year's planning and excitement will be running high - who will be the 'enemies of bonfire this year' - always topical, the huge effigies of these unfortunates will be dragged through the streets of the town before being consigned to the fire. Cameron and Clegg maybe? we'll have to wait and see.

4 comments:

Wartime Housewife said...

What a lovely poster. It must be quite a spectacle, Bonfire Night in Lewes. Do they still burn The Pope?

Also, is there the option to subscribe to your blog? I couldn't see a widget anywhere.

Philip Wilkinson said...

Great poster, Jon. I look forward to further reports. When I lived in South London a pub not far away had one of my all-time favourite names: The Pyrotechnist's Arms.

Jon Dudley said...

Bonfire Night still involves chucking fireworks at various preaching 'bishops' and despite the 'No Popery' banner being held high, apart from a few diehards there's no real anti-catholic in the air. There was attempt to highjack the proceedings by some radical Orange persons years ago but I believe they got short shrift.

I'm not sure about the subscribe thingy...but I see you're a follower so thanks you...I'm flattered. Such is your common sense, I would of course follow you to the ends of the earth.

Jon Dudley said...

Thanks Philip...love the pub name! All pubs in Lewes become homes of pyrotechnology at this time of year.